GAUCÍN: Balcony of the Ronda Mountains where the Holy Child appeared to St. John of God.
The illustrious, always noble, very hospitable village of Gaucín.


The Church of San Sebastian
Built after the reconquest (1487) on the site of the mosque which was built on the site of the earlier visigoth church. The interior has vestiges of Mudéjar influence in its use of wood.

During the Civil War the church was sacked and the organ thrown into the street and destroyed.

The bell tower still dominates the town skyline, tho the mania to construct ugly third stories on top of old houses may soon change that.

Currently the church is famous for its angelic priest and its enthusiastic choir.

Castillo el Alguila
The castle offer a 360 degree view of the area, with a splendid vista of Serranía de Ronda and the Campo de Gibraltar.

Ancient Iberian ceramics have been found in the castle´s water deposit. Though the Romans were the first to put a castle on the strong rock of Gaucín and Visigoths occupied it, Arabs built the remnants seen today. French invaders and Carlist rebels also occupied the castle. It has been used as a refuge for threatened populations and animals, and as a hospital. The church owns the castle, and the chapel within the castle precincts is used for devotions to the Santo Niño.

The castle is open from 10.30 - 13.30 and from 18.00 - 20.00. Closed Mondays and Tuesdays.

The Convent
The town hall owns the convent, currently used for municipal functions, such as flamenco concerts and New Years Eve parties.

Built in the early 1700s, by the end of the century the convent had 19 resident monks. In 1835 with the dissolution of the monasteries it was abandoned. Monumental in form, it was recently restored in an insensitive modernistic style which everyone hates. The interior is currently being tarted up.

The Fountain
This baroque stone fountain, c. 1628, located in main square, has six classical faces, now eaten by erosion.